Sunday, December 6, 2009

Relationships and Learning...

One item stuck with me when reading Victor Hugo Rojas' blog Learning Styles Theory at controversy?, was when he wrote about when a teacher's teaching style and a student's learning theory match, the student has a greater experience in the course and they will have a better attitude towards the course.

I could not agree with this theory more. I have been through many classes, seminars, and training sessions than I care to count and I am always more engaged, curious, and susceptible to learn when the instructor is teaching or speaking in a way that matches my learning style. Sometimes I prefer a lecture and sometimes I prefer a more hands on approach, it just depends on what I am learning. It is very easy for me to lose interest if I am expecting hands on training and all I get is a lecture or vice versa.

I would tend to think that many students feel the same way as I do. I would imagine it would be hard to find a person that would not want an instructor or teacher to teach the way that most fits their learning style. To me it would seem like being in a relationship with a person that you have absolutely nothing in common with. There would be no substance or foundation to that relationship and would be incredibly difficult to make the relationship last.

Just like in a relationship, there must be a foundation and substance to learning that fits both the student and the teacher in order for there to be a great learning experience.

2 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point, Bryan! One that I can relate to, as well. I do find that I am more receptive to a facilitator, despite the topic, if the facilitator uses my preferred method(s). However, as I have been learning about the importance of learning styles in this course, I'm finding that I am challenging myself more by putting myself in situations that I typically would be uncomfortable with to enable both personal and professional growth. I've found if I'm more comfortable with various non-preferred learning styles, the result heightens my comfort level in associated teaching styles/methods. If I can better myself, I'll in turn offer more opportunity for growth for my learners. Ultimately, I’m finding a better understanding of how I can relate to learners as a result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post Bryan. I believe that information regarding learning styles is very beneficial in student affairs in addition to teacher affairs. Learning style is practical in the work setting as well. It allows administrative leaders to be more perceptive and understanding regarding using staff members in a means that appeal to their greatest strengths, a predominantly significant trait in the future as colleges and universities center more on an individuals' aptitude to carry out tasks than on where they are in the directorial ladder. Simultaneously, the utilization of information concerning learning styles reminds us that an institution that is critically concerned in the progress of students as a principle needs to hold such an idea for faculty and administrators as well.

    ReplyDelete